DTSOI Counseling Department
The counseling department at DTSOI is so excited about this new school year! Ms. Allawayne Hunter retired at the end of the last school year. She will be greatly missed, but with 30+ years of working in education, she is able to enjoy a well earned retirement. This year we are excited to welcome two counselors that will be new to DTSOI, Annissa Duane and Joleen Nutter. Both have experience in the school setting and bring many strengths and enthusiasm to our school. Your child’s specific counselor is determined by grade level:
- 6th & 7th Grades - Kailee Stonebarger - firstname.lastname@example.org - Office-Phoenix West Office area: Phase I part of the building
- 8th & 9th Grades - Annissa Duane - email@example.com - Office-Phoenix West Office area: Phase I part of the building
- 10th & 11th Grades - Joleen Nutter - firstname.lastname@example.org - Office-Phoenix East Counseling Office area: Phase II part of the building
- 12th Grade - Tara Elzer - email@example.com - Office-Phoenix East Counseling Office area: Phase II part of the building
Future newsletters will feature individual counselors highlighting the ways the counseling team can support your child and our DTSOI families.
At the beginning of each school year counselors are in high demand because of SCHEDULES! Students being scheduled into classes that ensure they meet graduation requirements, are prepared for postsecondary opportunities and individual student interests are of utmost importance. That is why your DTSOI administration, faculty and staff spent January, February and March hosting parent nights, student lessons through CCR classes, as well as a students meeting one-on-one with their counselor discussing course options and information. We were fortunate that we were able to complete those activities before March 13th, which was the last date of face to face classes for our students. This year as every year, classes our teachers are assigned to teach and new teacher hires are based on the classes the students chose during registration.
Guidelines and process when students receive their schedules:
- An email will be sent to your student’s school email address on August 11, 2020 by 6:00 p.m. that will give them their login and password for Home Access Center in Eschool (HAC). Students will be able to view their schedules in HAC. We will not be handing out paper schedules.
- If you are face-to-face 5 days a week and there is a hole (missing block) in your schedule, email your counselor, see mail addresses above. For example: You are a face to face student and do not have a 3B class, then email your counselor. We will schedule a class for the missing period and email your full schedule to you.
- Students that have a full schedule will follow their classes as it appears on their schedule. Even if you have questions or concerns about that schedule, follow it.
- During the first week of school counselors will meet with each student (through CCR/Senior Seminar class block) and answer any questions they might have about their schedule.
- Because every effort was made to schedule students in classes they selected during registration and our master schedule/teaching assignments are based on student requests, the only schedule changes that will be considered is if a student has been scheduled for a class that they did not request and there are no master schedule conflicts. This includes alternate classes chosen. Please keep in mind that oftentimes there is a scheduling conflict with certain classes a student has requested.
- ALL students will have a CCR class, for Seniors it is called "Senior Seminar".
- ALL students will have a full schedule, meaning 8 classes. For juniors/seniors this might say "Internship" or "NWTI/CC NWACC" classes.
- Most students will have an English, math, science and social studies class. Seniors might have already met these credit requirements.
**GOAL: By the end of the 1st week of school any corrections or questions about schedules will be made and/or answered.
During the first week of school juniors/seniors will get information about permission to travel through Senior Seminar classes.
Scheduling is only a small fraction of how a school counselor supports students in academic success. During the 2020-21 school year the counselors will be working with students, teachers, parents, administrators and the Springdale community to support your child in the FIVE specific areas of 1) self-awareness, 2) self-management, 3) social awareness, 4) relationship skills, 5) responsible decision making.
We are excited about serving our students, our families and our community during the 2020-21 school year!
Additional information for Seniors
- Seniors we will be posting updates for senior pictures, cap and gown ordering, etc. through your senior seminar class and counseling office communication.
- Senior Pictures are scheduled for Thursday, September 17th 8AM-4PM. More information through Senior Seminar once school begins.
- All things SENIOR 2021 related will be discussed and information pushed out through Senior Seminar class.
For more information pertaining to Seniors please check out Mrs. Elzer’s Virtual Office by clicking here . She will update and add information on this site on a weekly basis.